Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Best Valentine's Day Gift Ever!

I don't even know how to start...our lives changed, forever, on Sunday night at 9:02 pm. Chad was out for a run, and I was watching the Grammys. The phone rang, and I saw that the caller ID said it was from a cell phone in Kentucky. I could not think of anyone we knew in Kentucky who might be calling us, so I almost didn't answer it. Good thing I did! I recognized the voice on the other end as our program coordinator, Lesley. As soon as I realized it was her, my heart began to pound. I couldn't think of any reason other than our referral that she would be calling from her home on a Sunday night (and can I just say how sweet it is that she did that. She wanted to make sure Chad would be there too). She said she had some "news," and I started to shake. I wanted Chad to be there, but I also (selfishly) couldn't wait one more second to hear what she had to say! Then she said, "I have your referral!" (Those are some of the best words ever, FYI!)

She started to tell me a few details like her name, age, and what region of the country she is in now. I was trying to take notes, but my hands were shaking! Just then I heard the dogs whining and knew Chad was in the front yard, so I ran and got him and whispered that this was IT, our referral call. Poor thing, he was all sweaty and the dogs were jumping on him, but he got settled with lightning speed. Then she e-mailed us her referral paperwork. This included the same details she had gone over with us, her birth certificate, her medical exam, and her picture, and we went over that with her on the phone. Let me just tell you, she is the most beautiful baby! Obviously we are biased, but she is just gorgeous! We can't post pictures on here or facebook until she is legally ours (though if I know you in real life I would be thrilled to show you her picture). I can say she has huge brown eyes, big squishy cheeks that I just can't wait to kiss, perfectly plump little lips, and a full head of fine black hair. We opened her picture, and I instantly started crying (to go along with the shaking I was already doing!). I just kept saying, "Oh, she's so beautiful!" She is amazing. We have stared at her picture for, oh...hours since Sunday night, so I can say this with certainty.

Because she is not "ours" yet (except in our hearts), we can't share too many of her details with you. I can say that she is 3 1/2 months old. She has to be in the orphanage a little while longer before we can go to court, so we are looking at two to three more months before we can travel to meet her and go before the judge (when she will legally become our child). Then we will have to leave her, and travel again 6-10 weeks later to bring her home. All worth it!

After we got off the phone with Lesley, we stood there just staring at her picture for a good long while. Then we made roughly a million calls to friends and family. By the time we were done with that, we were exhausted. I printed her picture so Chad could show her off at work (I think we are both carrying her picture around with us at all times, just in case we should run into someone we know...definitely proud parents!) By the time we actually laid down in bed, we were both just completely drained, but so, so happy. I just kept getting teary eyed everytime I thought of her. We have a daughter (almost). I laid awake for several hours, replaying the whole evening in my mind. I prayed. I smiled. I remembered her sweet face. And I thanked God for the miracles he creates everyday, including our new daughter.

3 comments:

  1. YEAH!!! YEAH!!! YEAH!!!
    So excited for you, Jana!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!!!! I can't wait to hear more about her and follow your journey to Ethiopia!!! How awesome...what an incredible Valentine's Day you had! Praying for a speedy court date!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooo happy for you Jana!! What a blessing from God! I also read your previous post about financing. I don't know your situation, but I sounded just like you when we got our referral. God provides...trust me....better yet TRUST HIM! He will not fail you nor forsake you. God doesn't make mistakes. I haven't finished tallying our expenses, but I think we are close to paying for it. Keep me posted. Let's keep in touch. Sadly, but kinda not, I am giving up FB for awhile. I can't wait to hear your details!! Email me! cholo5@wescomm.com

    ReplyDelete