Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Note About My Last Post...

Thanks to everyone who has been supportive of my whiny, self-pitying self over the past few days. I do fully realize that in the grand scheme of things, having to do boatloads more education and paying several hundred dollars more than expected for post-placement services aren't the worst tragedies that could befall us. I'm still pretty upset though, and we're still working on hashing things out. I have learned in the past few days that everyone from our adoption agency to other adoptive parents to another homestudy agency I contacted about doing our post-placement visits all agree that these changes seem unreasonable, so at the very least we are feeling validated in our frustrations!

Someone told me that perhaps I should watch the negative tone I used in that post, and I understand their point. If you know us, you know we will do anything asked of us to get to our baby girl. And we would move heaven and earth to get to her. I don't mean to imply that what is being asked of us is too much, or not worth it, and I hope that's not how it came across. BUT...the point of this blog is mostly to document this journey for us, our friends and family, and for her to read one day as well. I want to be honest. I want to be true.

It was also suggested that if someone else considering international adoption read that post, they might be discouraged or scared off. Again, I see that point. However, to the prospective adoptive parent reading this now, I say this: when I was researching, reading every blog I could find, determining if we could handle this unpredictable, emotional journey, I loved seeing the good and the bad. Almost every adoption has setbacks, changes, and things no one could have predicted. If all we post are the highlights, then we are doing a disservice to you who are trying to decide. You should be given the whole picture, so that you can decide if this roller coaster is something you want to ride. So, please, don't let anything I wrote in that post scare you off. For us, we know that any hoop we need to jump through is more than worth it, but it doesn't mean we can't be frustrated while we jump :)

No comments:

Post a Comment