Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Christmas 2010

Not exactly adoption-related, but I wanted to share a few pictures from our Christmas. It's been really fun this fall and winter to compare how different things will hopefully be next year with a baby girl in the house! We have tons of family traditions and rituals for the holiday, and I can't wait to share them with her, just as we've done with the boys. Every year, I have looked at the beautiful little holiday dresses (Why are there dozens of adorable dresses, but the only Christmas outfits for boys are red and black argyle? Why?) and felt a twinge of sadness for the daughter I didn't have. This year it was much more fun to dream about (hopefully) getting to buy a dress for my little girl next year! Poor kid...after 6 years of buying only boy clothes, she's going to wear dresses and bows whether she wants to or not :)

We had such a wonderful holiday this year. Both boys are old enough to totally get the fuss, but young enough to still have a sweet innocence as well. Perfect. We had fun festivities the whole month of December...breakfast with Santa at our church, Chad's holiday party for work, leaving our shoes out for St. Nick, Christmas programs at school, decorating a gingerbread village, Christmas crafts, and opening not one, but four, Advent calendars each night (not sure how that happened...let's just say they have great grandmas). So much fun!

Leaving our shoes out for St. Nick:

The gingerbread village the boys decorated:

My handsome little man before his preschool Christmas program (where he put on an amazing Little Drummer Boy performance!):

Griffin telling Santa what he wants for Christmas at Breakfast with Santa (Cooper wouldn't go near him!):

We are lucky enough to have our very own elf who visits us each year for most of December. His name is Buddy, and he loves to get into trouble! This was his second year staying with us, and some of the antics we have enjoyed the most were when he TPed the boys' rooms, when he helped us decorate our tree with our undies, and when he tried to drive Chad's car (he is not a good driver).
Here he got into a marshmallow fight with some of our other friends, and below that you can see where he tried to help us wrap the tree, just like all the presents under it. He means well!

We had a wonderful Christmas day as well! Griffin woke up at 6:45, but was willing to hang out with Chad and I until Cooper woke up at 8 am. I know how hard that must have been for him!! This was the first year we were able to get them to take turns opening gifts, and it was so much fun to really get to watch them open them each present and see their reactions.
They didn't have too many requests this year on their wishlists. Cooper wanted trucks (big surprise) and Griffin kept asking for things like dragons and dinosaur fossils (not going to happen). He had mentioned once or twice wanting a DS, and I got a killer deal on one, but I wasn't sure he would really be that excited, and then on Christmas Eve he informed me that was what he really wanted. I told him I wasn't sure it would happen since he hadn't really sounded like he wanted one, and he told me Santa would take care of it. Oh, I was so thrilled when he opened it on Christmas morning, and told me, "See, Mom, I told you Santa would get it!" I would say that and Mario Kart for the Wii have been his two favorite gifts. Cooper has loved all the new Playmobil sets they got, as well as his new trucks. Chad and I said we weren't going to exchange gifts this year in an effort to save money for the adoption (and he is not always the best about gift giving anyway), but he totally surprised me with two gift certificates to a foot massage place I have been dying to go to! Major husband points!!

Leaving cookies for Santa:
That afternoon my parents, one of my brothers and his wife, and Chad's parents and his sister, brother in law and nephew all came over for Christmas dinner. After dinner we usually play board games, but this year Chad created a Minute to Win It (my new favorite show) game for us as a surprise for me. We were all dying with laughter, it was awesome! (Have I mentioned how amazing my husband is? Perhaps another post to come!)

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, and is having a great start to the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment